Disneys, Pioneers to Warren County, Iowa - findings on Warren Co. IA GenwebThe history of the Disneys in Warren County, Iowa begins very early, 1846, and continues in pioneer deaths, as is told in the Warren County, Iowa Genweb page here: http://www.iagenweb.org/warren/cemeteries/carlislehistory.html.
Hadleys, Ormes and Browns, and even a connection to the underground railway during the Civil War also weave into this story.
Names, dates and places:
* Jacob Disney arrived in the Summerset-Carlisle, Iowa, area in the spring of 1846, from Knox County, Ohio. With him: Richard Hadley and Jacob's brother Mordecai Disney.
* Hadley and Disney were the first burials in Carlisle Cemetery, in summer 1846, both dead of cholera.
* Eliza and Joseph Petre, relatives of Disney, finished out the claim and deeded the cemetery to the county in 1860. Eliza and Joseph's son, Albert Petre, was the first [white] child born in that area.
* Mordecai Disney, blacksmith, later went to California (1849?) to dig for gold.
* "The third burial in Carlisle Cemetery was that of a little girl, Cordelia Orme, who had been born in Knox County, Ohio. Her grave is unmarked. Cordelia was the daughter of Jesse and Nancy Disney Orme, married Jan 27, 1850 in Knox County, Ohio. Nancy was a sister of Jacob Disney's so Cordelia was buried beside her uncle. The little girl had died while the family was migrating to Nodaway in Page County, Iowa."
* "The next grave in the first row is that of Harriet Anderson. Legend says she was the sweetheart of Richard Hadley and came to Iowa intending to be married to him. Possibly she came from Ohio with her sister and brother-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. George Disney, or with her brothers, Charles Luther Anderson and Leonard Anderson. They all came to Iowa about 1850. Harriet was the daughter of Leonard and Nancy Penn Anderson, and she died in Iowa in 1851 at the age of 20 years, 4 months and 16 days. "
* Mr. & Mrs. George Disney (Anne Elizabeth Anderson) came from Ohio to Carlisle ~1850.
* "The next stone marks the grave of Alice A. Disney, daughter of G.I. and A.E. Disney, who died June 11, 1852 at the age of 2 years, 4 months. Next is Martin Luther Disney who was 8 years, 8 months and 21 days when he died in 1855. Beside him is the grave of George Disney who died August 8, 1855 at the age of 39 years, 8 months and 15 days. His wife, Anne Elizabeth Anderson Disney is beside him. She died March 14, 1856 at the age of 31 years, 5 months and 7 days."
Carlisle Cemetery Burials
NAME BIRTH DEATH
DISNEY, Alice A. 3 Feb 1850* 11 June 1852
DISNEY, Ann Elizabeth 11 Oct 1824* 18 Mar 1856
DISNEY, George N. 24 Nov 1815* 8 Aug 1855
DISNEY, Jacob 1846
DISNEY, Martin Luther 19 Apr 1846* 9 Jan 1855
In addition, Amelia Jane Disney Brown is buried in Carlisle Cemetery.
My thanks to the photographers and researchers who created the Findagrave tribute pages and those on the Iowa Gravestone Photo Project.
Warren County Iowa Probate Index
ID LAST NAME FIRST NAME MID. NAME NUMBER COLLECTION
3693 Disney G. N. OFA Courthouse
3694 Disney George N. 3 Courthouse
There is a mention on the history of the Indian Valley Cemetery, that "The Christian Union Church at Cool, Iowa, was organized November 11, 1893. The first members were Elizabeth Morris, Maude Butler, Sarah Goodrich, Rebecca Coatney, Lizzie Hess, Ella R. King, Anna R. New, Lizzie Disney."
Warren County Iowa Original Land Owners
DISNEY, George N.
The BLM website reports:
Names On Document Miscellaneous Information
￼DISNEY, GEORGE N,
Land Office: Fort Des Moines
US Reservations: No
Mineral Reservations: No
Authority: September 28, 1850: ScripWarrant Act of 1850 (9 Stat. 520)
Document Numbers Survey Information
Document Nr: 74075 Total Acres: 40.00
In short, he got 40 acres for his service in the War of 1812. Dated 2/1/1854 , Doc #74075, State of IA Meridian: 5th PM, Twp - Rng: 077N - 022 W, , Aliquots: SE¼SE¼, Sec # 36, Warren County.
Who is Samuel Williams? There is a Samuel Williams listed in Warren County Iowa Original Land Owners.
1853 WARREN COUNTY IOWA SPECIAL CENSUS
The Code of Iowa 1853, chapter 95, a act to provide for taking the census of a part of Warren County, the township assessors of township 77 north, ranges 25, 24, 23 and so much of range 22
as lay in Warren County were to take a census of this township when they assessed it in 1853.
Township 77, ranges 22 - 25 comprise just the top tier of Warren County; therefore, the 1853 Warren County special census only included the green area on the map to the right.
This census included the following information:
NAME = Name of head of household
MALES = Number of males
FEMALES = Number of females
VOTE = Number of persons entitled to vote
MILITIA = Number of persons elligable for military duty
TOTAL = Total number of people in the household
NAME MALES FEMALES VOTE MILITIA TOTAL TOWNSHIP
DISNEY, G. N. 3 3 1 1 6 Richland
DIZNEY, Andrew 1 2 1 1 3 Richland
WARREN COUNTY TAX LIST – 1855
Richland Township: Disney, G.N.
Index of Warren County Marriages 1849-1899 (Grooms)
GROOM BRIDE DATE
Phillips, Harry (26) Disney, Hester (18) 11 Jan 1899