Genealogy, or Family History?

I read a wonderful comment today on Dick Eastman's site, by Geoff Riggs
...Genealogy is the bones - gathering of the facts about ones ancestors such as names, dates, places. Family History is 'putting the flesh on the bones' - finding the stories, history, geography, and so forth that shaped the lives of our ancestors.

Rudyard Kipling wrote:
I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew)
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who


I added a second verse to this some years ago:
For pure Genealogists
'Who, When and Where?' suffice
But Family Historians>
Add 'Why, What, How?' for spice

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. - Eugene S. Wilson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy and Genetics

Elias Henry BAYSINGER, Wives and Children

Alsace